The Hemp and Cannabis Foundation

Becoming a Patient

Our physicians require that each patient have current medical records that document the existence of one of the conditions for which medical marijuana is authorized under their state law. You must either obtain your medical records yourself (which may involve a fee) and bring them in to us, or you may authorize that your medical records be faxed or mailed to one of our offices.

Since our doctors are consulting with patients solely about their qualification for medicinal cannabis, and can not act as a patient's primary physician, we require that all of our patients have at least one other current physician.

Three Key Steps to Setting an Appointment:

Step 1: If you are a NEW PATIENT, in order to schedule an appointment you must first have:

A) CHART NOTES (The notes your doctor keeps in your medical file.) The records need to be current within the past three years and must pertain to your qualifying condition. We only need chart notes from 2-3 recent visits on your condition. These can be UP TO three years old. For example, if you saw the doctor in September of 2010, those records could be used until September of 2013. Please do not send older documents unless requested.

B) CHART NOTES must be from an MD (medical doctor) or a DO (doctor of osteopathy). Oregon patients may be able to use records from a NP (nurse practitioner). In other states, our doctors cannot use records from a NP or PA.

C) Any recent MRI or x-ray REPORTS (not required, but desirable if applicable). Please don't send the film, just the report.

Medical Clinics

The Hemp and Cannabis Foundation is an organization that helps qualified medical marijuana patients inform and empower themselves to become legally protected.

Our Clinics:

Call Us Toll-Free - 1.800.723.0188

Portland, Oregon - 503.281.5100 - (Clinics also in: Bend, Brookings, Eugene, Grants Pass, Medford and Umatilla)

Seattle/Bellevue, Washington - 425.869.6186 - (Clinics also in: Kennewick, Spokane and Vancouver)

Honolulu, Hawaii - 808.823.8423 - (Clinics also in: Hilo and Kapaa)

Denver, Colorado - 303.403.9996 - (Clinics also in: Durango and Glenwood Springs)

Riverside, California - 951.782.9898

Detroit/Southfield, Michigan - 248.353.2337


The following is a list of some of the questions the THCF is asked most frequently. We hope this helps answer your questions. If you do not see your question listed feel free to contact us by phone at 503-281-5100 and we will do our best to help.

What conditions qualify for medical marijuana?

Chronic pain, chronic nausea, AIDS, cancer, glaucoma, hepatitis, chronic muscle spasms and other spastic disorders, such as multiple sclerosis, seizure disorders, such as epilepsy, gastrointestinal disorders, such as IBS, Crohn's disease and the inability to eat, or patients who have medical treatments for other conditions that cause one of these conditions.

Once I have a medical marijuana permit, how do I get the cannabis?

Each state medical marijuana law allows patients with a doctor's authorization to grow, possess and use medical marijuana. There are patient support groups in every medical marijuana state that give out or trade plants, strains and medicine. It is also legal for patients with a doctor's authorization to obtain cannabis and plants on the black market, though the person selling it is breaking the law (they probably know that), the patient is not.

How much does it cost to get a medical marijuana permit?

Our clinic fee has a sliding scale, so we lower it for patients on a limited income. Call our office for more information. There is a state fee for states with a state registry. In Oregon, it is $100 a year for most people, but $20 a year for patients on OHP or SSI. In Colorado, the state fee is $90 a year. In Hawaii, the doctor must collect the $25 a year fee and the doctor pays it to the state for each patient. There is no state registry, therefore no state permit fee, for patients in California and Washington state.

Can patients with a state medical marijuana permit travel out-of-state with cannabis?

Syndicate content